Friday, June 29, 2012

The Sea Witch is interrupting our sleep

I have to start this by saying that I have always felt extremely fortunate that I have two children that have slept through the night very early on. They must have just known that their Momma likes her sleep and does not do well without it. So you would think with my children being 5 and 3 that worrying about sleeping through the night would be a thing of the past. However, I am here to tell you, that the "Sea Witch" has made that a current reality.
A little over a month ago William starting waking up in the middle of night, just crying hysterically. At first I just chalked it up to one bad dream. When I went into his room and loved on him he would go right back to sleep. Well then it started happening every night. And then a couple of times a night. Finally, when he was crying, he told me that he wanted the "Sea Witch" to go away. I wasn't quite sure what he meant since I had never heard it talk about it before. So the next morning I started questioning him about this "Sea Witch" and trying to understand why she was upsetting him. He said that she was mean and trying to hurt him.
Turns out, he is talking about the "Sea Witch" from The Little Mermaid. The kids have seen it before but not anytime recently (our VHS player is broken right now). So I don't know what prompted him to all of the sudden dream about her.
We have had many conversations about the "Sea Witch" and how she is not mean, she will not hurt Will, and she is his "friend". I don't want to bring it up too much so that is all he is thinking about, but I also don't want him to think about her in his dreams. She is a little freaky in the movie, but of all things he has seen, I am just surprised that she is the thing he is having nightmares about.
Every night, he wakes up either once or twice. He is either crying or just waking up and crawling into our bed. I really hope that the "Sea Witch" will leave his dreams, and just go back to the sea. I guess only time will tell.
Hopefully next time I blog I can happily tell everyone that the "Sea Witch" has retreated back to the place she came from.

~ Em

1 comment:

  1. Poor buddy!!! Mason used to wake up crying hysterically in the middle of of the night and it happened every night for a couple months. Our pediatrician said it was probably night terror and that he would eventually outgrow it. It still happens occasionally but it has gotten TONS better over the last couple months. Hopefully it's just an age thing and he will pass it quickly!! I hope you are getting some sleep!

    Hint: try reading him a book before bed. Something happy or funny, and maybe that will help him clear his mind!? Good luck!!

    -T

    ReplyDelete