Friday, March 2, 2012

My little girl is getting so big

We went to my first parent teacher conference today. And man I can not believe I already have a child old enough for one of those. I realize that in all reality a lot of people are thinking, why is she acting like this is a big deal, or so what? For us, in our little family it is one of our "firsts".
Grace only started going to this preschool the beginning of February. Before that she was in an at home daycare/preschool. At first she had trouble with the change and was scared when we left her. It only took her a few days though and she was asking us when does she get to go see her new friends at her new school. She is such a social butterfly that girl.
A couple of things have happened since she had been there that have just melted my heart. First thing was, she had school pictures taken. She cracked me up because she hadn't actually been to the preschool yet (The pictures were the Thursday before she started), so when she took her class picture she didn't really know any of the kids. When she was standing in the formation to have the picture taken she was in the back with one big cheesy smile glued to her face. All of the other kids were moving from where the photographer had placed them and talking to their other classmates. She was the only one, like a frozen statue, waiting for him to take the picture. And he was still situating everybody. It was hilarious. I wanted to get my camera out and snap a picture myself real quick. I guess now that I am writing it, it doesn't sound as funny. Maybe it was one of those things where you had to be there to fully appreciate the hilarity of it. We get the pictures back March 9th I believe. I will post a picture for sure. 
Next was, Grace made me a little bracelet. So cute! Unfortunately  the "bracelet" was made for a newborn so I can not wear it. But it does have yarn attached to it so I am going to hang it from my rear view mirror. My first little school present made by Grace. I love it! And next was the one that I thought was so cool. The school asked me to provide a stamped envelope because they were mailing out a letter. They didn't give me any more details. Then on Valentines Grace received a letter in the mail. It was from her little classmate. It was handwritten by the other little girl, and it said, "Dear Grace, I am glad you are my friend." And then she signed her name. That is most definitely going in her baby book. And this is just the beginning of Grace's "school days".
The parent teacher conference went well of course. The teacher did not have as much time to evaluate Grace as she did the other kids but she still was able to tell us where Grace is developmentally. And she said she is ready for kindergarten! That made me happy to hear because since she was going to an at home preschool I was concerned she might not be where she needed to be. They said her social skills are really good, like listening to the teacher when she is giving directions. Also, when other kids are distracting, Grace will still focus on her work. The teacher did say Grace does get down on herself easily and is always comparing her work to the other kids but once the teacher reassures her she is doing fine then Grace will accept that. She is like this with most things, and it is something we have been working on for awhile now. Overall she said she is on track and has made a smooth transition into the class. That makes me very happy to hear. I was hoping that would be the case, and it was.
I just can't believe in six months she will be in kindergarten! Unreal! I think there will be a lot of changes between now and then for her. And I am sure I will be sharing those changes with all of you!

~ Em

1 comment:

  1. SOOOO glad it went well for you!! and i cracked up at the image of her being CHEESY in the background as the rest of the class was chaos. hahaha

    ReplyDelete